I've been working on a butterfly and was surprised at how much trouble I had selecting just the right pattern. I love all the little butterflies that you can make to use up extra thread on a shuttle, but I was looking for something with a little more substance. I wanted to challenge myself and be able to post it on the 25 Motif Challenge as well as send it off to it's new home.
I finally decided on the Green Butterfly pattern by Martha Ess - yep that's the name of the pattern. I chose some pretty Lizbeth thread and started tatting. If you've read the post about this butterfly on my 25 Motif Challenge blog, you know that I used both shuttles and needles to tat it.
Once I selected which thread to use, I wound my shuttles CTM to get started. When I read the pattern, I realized that the center rings are the first sections to be tatted. Well, I had already wound my thread for the larger sections of the wings and didn't want to have to cut it and start the wings with two ends to hide.
That's when I decided to needle tat the center green rings. It worked out great and I didn't have any extra ends to hide on the larger sections of the wings.
There was a challenge to completing the butterfly because there are five sections to be joined together. Even though the pattern directions are clear and easy to follow, I somehow always manage to flip things the wrong way or join something upside down. Joining sections or smaller motifs into a larger piece is definitely something I should continue to practice.
The butterfly is actually rather large compared to the pieces I've been tatting. It's about 5" wide and 4" tall and if you click on the picture, you'll get an idea just how big it is. At the bottom of the picture, I included the colors of thread used.
Now the butterfly is complete and it's been blocked and photographed, so I'm sending it to the Palmetto Tatters Guild as my membership fee for the 2010.
[Note: 3/2/10 added link to Green Butterfly pattern]
For Mary Lou
4 hours ago